Photos and Videos tagged with #tohistory
#TOhistory Photo: On March 11, 1835 the first permanent @TorontoPolice force is established. consisting of a High Constable, 5 full-time and 14 part-time constables. Up until a series of reforms in 1859 the force was known as corrupt and notoriously political. Constables were loyal to local aldermen who personally appointed officers in their own wards for the duration of their incumbency. On numerous occasions police suppressed opposition candidate meetings and took sides during bitter sectarian violence between Orange Order and Irish Catholic radical factions in the city. Here's a group of Toronto's finest seen in better days in 1927.
- 2 days ago via site
Happy 180th Birthday Toronto! This how we decorated City Hall in 1934. We should do that more today! #TOhistory
- 10 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: On this day in 1906 the new lake boat S.S. Cayuga was launched at the foot of Bathurst Street. Seen here in 1931 she ran the Toronto-Niagara on the Lake-Queenston-Lewsiton, New York route until 1952. Despite an effort to restore her to service in 1954 or later repurpose her as a waterfront restaurant she was eventually unceremoniously scrapped in 1960.
- 13 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: On this day in 1927 radio station CFRB @newstalk1010 goes on the air for the first time. Seen here in 1929, Toronto's oldest operating broadcaster was founded by the Rogers Vacuum Tube Company to promote Edward S. Rogers, Sr.'s invention of a batteryless radio receiver that could be operated using alternating current & did not need the cumbersome battery that had previously been required. (The letters "RB" in the station's callsign stand for "Rogers' Batteryless") The invention also allowed the station's first all electric radio transmitters to transmit a signal that reproduced voices and music more clearly.
- 25 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: On February 10, 1845 the @TorontoRBOT was incorporated. Their building at the north-east corner of Yonge and Front Streets (seen here in the early 1900's) was completed in 1892 and at 7 storeys was one of Toronto's first skyscrapers. Demolished in 1958 it was later replaced by the A.E. LePage Building (now EDS) in 1982, as seen today: http://goo.gl/maps/PT4AK
- 33 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: #realestate #theannex On February 5, 1843 Simeon Heman Janes was born in East Oxford England. Moving to Toronto in 1866 he developed a passion for real estate. In 1879 when Toronto housing was in a severe depression, Janes began daringly purchasing hundreds of acres of land which he then subdivided, advertised and as the market rebounded sold at great profit in the process creating what we now call The Annex.
- 38 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: This day in 1964 Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton took up residence in a 5 bedroom suite at the @KingEddyHotel. Burton was in town to perform a pre-Broadway run of Hamlet at the O'Keefe Centre and the resulting media frenzy is often thought of as the start of "Celebrity Culture" in Toronto. The fact that Taylor and Burton were each married to other people at the time was a source of outrage to some citizens and resulted in protests outside the hotel as seen here.
- 47 days ago via site
2/2 #TOhistory Photo: On this day in 1907 @TorontoCouncil votes 15-8 to prohibit tobogganing in city parks on Sundays. Tobogganing was pretty popular at that time based on these photos taken in High Park (circa 1906) showing the line up for the runs and the crowds. People may have forgotten that the "Blue Laws" in Ontario were at one time pretty strict and that Sunday shopping only became legal in the province in 1992.
- 52 days ago via site
1/2 #TOhistory Photo: On this day in 1907 @TorontoCouncil votes 15-8 to prohibit tobogganing in city parks on Sundays. Tobogganing was pretty popular at that time based on these photos taken in High Park (circa 1906) showing the line up for the runs and the crowds. People may have forgotten that the "Blue Laws" in Ontario were at one time pretty strict and that Sunday shopping only became legal in the province in 1992.
- 52 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: On this day in 1895 Frederick G. Gardiner is born in Toronto. Previously Reeve of the Village of Forest Hill for 12 years, "Big Daddy" Gardiner was the first Chairman of Metropolitan Toronto from 1953 to 1961. Most famous for his implementation of the Expressway Program that gave us the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner, he's seen here in a 1956 portrait.
- 54 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: Ever wonder about the exact heights of Old City Hall's features? This is a cool annotated engineering photo. The clock tower awaits its clock which arrived from England this week in 1899. Valued at $2,287.50 the City of Toronto paid $384 in duty.
- 55 days ago via site
#TOhistory Photo: @CampbellHouseTO @Advocates_Soc On this day in 1834 Chief Justice of Upper Canada William Campbell died in his home located at Duke (now Adelaide) and Frederick Sts. As seen here on March 31, 1972, the house was saved from demolition and moved to the corner of University and Queen St W by the Advocates Society (a professional association of trial lawyers) Now the oldest remaining house from the original site of the Town of York it serves as their club, a historic museum and event space. http://www.campbellhousemuseum.ca/
- 57 days ago via site